Check Out the Cool Kids

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fear and Loathing

I think it's one of the trademarks of a creative (or wannabe creative) mind to have an inferiority complex.  We may act bold and brash, but what we create never quite lives up to what we had in our minds.  I think that's what leads a lot of people to keep those poems, stories, novels, paintings, etc. locked away somewhere.

Then there's the fear of others' opinions.  What if they don't like it?  What if they do?  The second can sometimes be the hardest situation.  You don't think it's good enough for compost, much less publication.

So what do we do, my fellow type-A, procrastinator/perfectionist, neurotic creative types?

We do it anyway.

Or at least try. Maybe.  Hopefully.

Based on some advice from How to Become a Famous Writer Before You're Dead (Linked in sidebar), I'm doing some research today.  Instead of trying to write anything (I still need to get in the hang of this creative thinking first thing in the morning), I'm going to do some searching for anthology submissions.

Good luck in your search!

2 comments:

niassne said...

My greatest problem is getting VERY interested in a LOT of ideas all at once and getting distracted. Underneath that is this thin layer of "I'm so not good enough". I do agree the only real way to get past this is to decide what do you really want to do and just do it.

Witless Exposition said...

Tell me about it. I want to write everything, a chick-lit book about being a teacher, the next great horror series, a gothic romance, everything. But then I think, no, that's not "real" writing.

I guess this is me trying to do it, without getting rejected. I mean, Blogger doesn't say I'm not good enough. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...