Check Out the Cool Kids

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bloggerstock: What is your theme song?



Before you get much further in this post, I want to give some background on what Bloggerstock is and why the talented Ethony is posting for me today. I found out about Bloggerstock through 20sb.net (a great place for a beginning blogger, btw). Basically it's blog-swapping but on a big scale.  It introduces you to tons of great blogs out there, some of which you would miss in the vastness of the net.  If you want some exposure as well as some new things for your feed, check it out! You can also check out my post at Mecurial Wife.

Ethony is my guest poster for today.  She does a little bit of everything: photography, tarot card readings, and very honest examination of her life.  You can definitely find a lot of great thoughts and inspirations on her blog. She's also started a new photography blog. Check her out!

-----------------------------------------------

When this topic was presented I wanted to pick something thoughtful, deep and meaningful, possibly something that had a very girl power message.

Here were some contenders

Little Things or Video - India Arie
Fighter, Can't Hold Us Down or Soar - Christina Aguliera
Can't Keep Me Down - Pink
Hey Jude or Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles

But it boiled down to what really is close to my personality and what song can cheer me up, no matter what mood I am in and also has a lot of personal meaning for me.

*Drum roll please* My Theme Song is:

You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon. (Yes I am in my 20's and I know who Paul Simon is)

Why is this my theme song?

Well firstly there is the UBER cool video clip. It rocks. Simple and classic.

Then there is the amazing base run that I can honestly listen to over and over. I love it.

This song makes me want to sing at the top of my lungs and dance in the middle of the street. Even though the lyrics aren't the most uplifting it is still really upbeat.

Now the Lyrics

A man walks down the street
He says why am I soft in the middle now
Why am I soft in the middle
The rest of my life is so hard

*Who the hell hasn't asked that question before? Not saying everyone is fat, just that we are soft fleshy beings and life tends to be hard*

I need a photo-opportunity
I want a shot at redemption
Don't want to end up a cartoon
In a cartoon graveyard
Bonedigger Bonedigger
Dogs in the moonlight
Far away my well-lit door
Mr. Beerbelly Beerbelly
Get these mutts away from me
You know I don't find this stuff amusing anymore

*I can take a shot at trying to figure out what that means but basically for me it is about people trying to carve their own way through life their own way without the pressures of society etc*

If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al

A man walks down the street
He says why am I short of attention
Got a short little span of attention
And wo my nights are so long

*I suffer from bouts of bad insomnia so relate to the long night bit*

Where's my wife and family
What if I die here
Who'll be my role-model
Now that my role-model is
Gone Gone
He ducked back down the alley
With some roly-poly little bat-faced girl
All along along
There were incidents and accidents
There were hints and allegations

If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al
Call me Al

A man walks down the street
It's a street in a strange world
Maybe it's the Third World
Maybe it's his first time around
He doesn't speak the language
He holds no currency
He is a foreign man
He is surrounded by the sound
The sound
Cattle in the marketplace
Scatterlings and orphanages
He looks around, around
He sees angels in the architecture
Spinning in infinity
He says Amen! and Hallelujah!

If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al
Call me Al

Now according to Wikepedia the song is about a guy having a midlife crisis and Paul and his wife being called by the wrong names at a party. Not very deep, but who cares!

2 comments:

Alex said...

Paul Simon, what a choice. I was looking up songs from the Graceland album the other day because I was having a conversation with someone about him singing with Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Such a fun song. And, it is OK to be 20-something and know/like Paul Simon, I am right there with you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will often come back down the road. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have a nice morning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...