The Bear Monk and I have spent the last six Sunday nights watching AMC's The Walking Dead. It's an amazing show (although not perfect) based on a series of comics of the same name. If you haven't been watching it, you need to! If you're not into zombies, don't worry, it really is more about the characters than the zombies.
After watching the first season, I've realized that there are several things that I need to learn or gather for the upcoming zombie apocalypse. And when it hits, we'll be first. We live next to a "Biomedical Research" facility. How creepy is that?!
(Some minor spoilers may follow)
1. CB Radio--I have absolutely no idea how to work one, and apparently, they're going to be the only things that work.
2. How to hot wire a car and siphon gas--You will have to abandon your car at some point, and I'll be stuck walking, which is never a good place to be when surrounded by zombies.
3. Wilderness survival skills--A plant guide so you know what you can eat, how to start a fire, etc. I need to either become an Eagle Scout or read Hatchet a few hundred more times.
4. Shooting a gun--In theory, I know how to shoot (just like in theory I know how to drive a standard), but I only have a theoretical knowledge, and there's no telling how bad my aim is. Maybe I should just stick to machetes. . .
5. Something for those lonely nights--The supply of men will likely be creeps or your husband's best friend, so pack something away to make you...um, self-sufficient.