Check Out the Cool Kids

Monday, April 4, 2011

A to Z Challenge: DC

Click here for more participants
I know, I know, you're probably getting tired of me and the game, but don't worry.  This is about the company.

You see, there's two big names in comic books (although more and more indie companies are getting their due notice): DC and Marvel.

They both started in the late 30s, but have taken different courses through the years.  DC tends to focus on more "traditional" superheroes.  And they're still basically the household name.  For the average person on the street, if you say superhero, you're going to think Superman, right?  Marvel tends toward antiheroes, tragic pasts, and character flaws.  (Remember, I'm speaking in broad terms, which I know is dangerous).

But I have to say that overall, I'm a DC fan.  That probably has a lot to do with the fact that my dad is a DC fan, and so I grew up with all of his old comic books and origin story compilations.

Because I apparently can't escape from lists for this challenge, here are some of the main reasons I love DC:
  • Wonder Woman (really, do you need any more?)
  • DC and Marvel both have lots of female characters, but DC does better at promoting them.  Quick, name female characters from Marvel that aren't in the X-Men.
  • All the great movies DC is putting out now.  Not just the Dark Knight, but all sorts of great animated movies (note: just because it's animated doesn't mean it's for kids).
  • Their stand to risk monetary loss to keep fans reading their work
This is completely my opinion.  So please, Marvel fans, don't flame me too badly.

5 comments:

mooderino said...

the two Marvel lay-dees who came to mind were she-hulk and Sue Storm. Could probably come up with a couple more from the Avengers. I think both houses are weak when it comes to women, and it's all bosoms and panties (Power Girl? get a bra that fits why don't you?). Too many men behind the scenes. The only really good female comic writer I'd say is Terry Moore (ironically a guy) with his Strangers in Paradise series. His new creation Echo isn't too bad.
Interesting post.
cheers,
mood
Moody Writing

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Won't hate you! Marvel still has the jump on movies though.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree that Marvel is marvelous, in so many ways, especially through the movies.

Happy to meet you through the A to Z.
Ann Best, Long Journey Home

J E Fritz said...

In terms of female characters, yeah, DC is definitely better. I can actually name some.

But in all fairness to the non-X-Men female character-thing, the X-Men is like Facebook. Almost everyone is a part of it.

Grammy said...

hi, Do you remember Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel, Jr? The boy who became Captain Marvel Jr, was named Billy Batson, and was a crippled newsboy. These were comics back in the 1940's and I grew up reading them. I love comic books. They brought me and my brothers a lot of pleasure. Wonder Woman was very popular back in the forties when WWII was going on. Interesting post. Thanks. Ruby

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...