Check Out the Cool Kids

Thursday, September 1, 2011

3WW--"Taking Liberty" Part 19

Click here to visit 3WW
While the fire may have faded on this one, the fact that I hadn't finished "Taking Liberty" was one of the things that spurred me on to get back to writing and blogging.

If you're a newcomer or have a terrible memory, like me, then let me fill you in. The great ThomG at Three Word Wednesday posts three words every week to use as a writing prompt for poets, essayists, and other writers to use.

I started way back in last September with a little character sketch of a nameless little girl.  That character stuck in my brain, and started bugging me to write about her.

Shortly after I started the experiment of "Taking Liberty" a serial story that uses the 3WW words every week as a starting point.  I've managed to make it this far without any real planning and enjoy the writing by the seat of my pants pressure to keep me going.

As far as my plans for the story go, I will continue to post new sections each Thursday (to give me a little more breathing room to get the story up) until it is finished.  After that I plan on taking it through revisions and eventually self-publishing the final version.

In future posts, look for ways to win a free copy of the final version.

But before we get to that point, I have to finish.  If you need to get caught up, you can find links to all the parts and a synopsis of the story so far on my Taking Liberty page.  Let's see where this takes us today!


After a long moment, I looked down at my feet, breaking James' penetrating gaze.

"I'm not sure what to say." I mumbled.  "I just--"

I'm not really sure what I had planned to say just then, but apparently Liberty didn't like the direction I was going.

The breath caught in my throat, and a roar filled my ears.  My legs trembled and dropped my weight to the floor. The light around me started to grow dim, but this was different than when she usually took over.  This was pain.  I felt my hands clutching at my shirt and couldn't stop them.  I was shaking all over, my feet slamming into the floor. 

I could hear James yelling something. I could sense him on the floor, dragging me closer to him, trying to hold my body steady.

Suddenly every muscle in my body went rigid.  I could feel my back arch to the point that I felt like I was going to break in two.  Everything around me went silent and black.

"Do you see what I can do to you?  Do you really want to fight me on this?" Liberty growled inside my skull.



Holy cow, Liberty's starting to freak me out now, too.  So now Elizabeth has to find a way to deal with this situation, but without letting Liberty catch on.  What do you think, was this episode all mental, or do you think Liberty actually has the power to kill Elizabeth from the inside?

Stay tuned for next week, and we'll both see what happens!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

amazing entry.

Unknown said...

You write fabulous stories,

Please check out short story slam week 9 today.

Hope to see you around.

Best!
Xoxox

http://bluebellbooks.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...